Registration began in September 2016 for SMART competition -- a STEM and CTE program for high school students and teachers -- a real-world experiential project on green building design. It focuses on energy efficiency, materials, the smart grid, the environment, community, livability, and sustainability. Be a climate engineer!
Register online at www.smartcompetition.org . Click on GET STARTED.
The registration fee is ZERO this year, thanks to an enthusiastic sponsor! (It used to be $100 per team.)
Deadline: Feb. 5, 2017 (but it is best to register & load the Bentley software NOW!)
The SMART Competition challenges teams of up to 4 high school students (and educator sponsor) to apply their knowledge of integrated science, math and physics to design a high-performance building. Students use
design & analysis software provided FREE by Bentley Systems, that engineers and architects worldwide use. Teams compete at the regional level. The top team from each region competes at an international event.
What teams do:
Students redesign a gymnasium on an existing virtual high school campus. All teams redesign the same building. Their redesign project includes completion of these deliverables:
* A baseline energy audit of the gymnasium (by Feb. 27, 2017).
* Computer model redesign of the gymnasium & campus to improve energy efficiency, followed by a second energy audit (by March 10),
* A Design & Impact Report & analysis of creative design features, energy use solutions, and localized power generation (by March 20).
* Submit a PowerPoint on how their model meets competition design objectives (by March 24).
* Logbook detailing daily activities (by March 24).
* Team delivers the presentation (by April 30) Winners are notified by May 7.
The SMART Competition develops workforce and life skills: computer analysis and software design, verbal and written communication, research, teamwork, and problem solving. It is for ALL students, without regard to gender, race, socio-economic, or academic performance level.
Interviews of students (including a girl at Paradise Valley High School in Phoenix) on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=04kbeWcFEmQ
SMART tutorial 1, on solar exposure: www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxTH7w8Idu0
For more information, contact
Mike Andrews, Managing Partner of Andrews & Associates, Phoenix AZ; & SMART co-chair: email@example.com