ASU Summer Modeling Workshop in Physics and Chemistry
Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Arizona State University in Tempe offers FIVE Modeling Workshops (June 5-23, June 12-30, and July 5-18, 2017) and three more courses. All courses are graduate level in rigor & depth. They are for all high school physics, physical science, & chemistry teachers, two-year-college faculty, and pre-service teachers.
This STEM program can lead to an interdisciplinary Master of Natural Science (MNS) degree.
Apply to ASU by May 10, to avoid an ASU late fee. Details are at http://modeling.asu.edu/MNS/MNS.html .
Non-degree ASU application is easy & quick! (No transcripts needed).
• Arizona high school teachers (in-service & pre-service) can apply for up to 3/4 tuition scholarship, online. (Our thanks to The Boeing Co. in Mesa! and ON Semiconductor in Phx.)
• MCCCD faculty (including Dual Enrollment) can apply for $250/credit tuition scholarships, if you don't already have 18 graduate credits in physics or chemistry.
• NEW! Contact Sean Sederstrom (Sean.Sederstrom@asu.edu) or (480)727-9004
• All teachers/faculty can apply to reserve a seat for non-credit. $400 registration. CEUs. Limited spaces; priority to those who commit to leadership. Apply online. Need NOT apply to ASU.
Ask your principal NOW to reserve Federal Title II funds for partial tuition, $400 noncredit registration, or housing.
• Ask local service organizations (Rotary, Kiwanis, etc.) for financial support: see
• Degree-seeking teachers at Title I high schools can apply for forgivable Direct loans & TEACH grants.
• See modeling.asu.edu/MNS/ASUfinanAid_MNSdegree.htm
For help with on-campus or family housing, reply to Jane.Jackson@asu.edu.
New this summer:
* MECHANICS Modeling Workshop IN WEST VALLEY! June 12-30 at Carl Hayden HS, 33rd Ave near I-10.
* BIOLOGY Modeling Workshop at St. Mary's High School (sponsored by AMTA)
* MIDDLE SCHOOL Modeling Workshop at Tempe Prep (sponsored by AMTA)
* ENERGY & ENVIRONMENT.
MODELING WORKSHOPS in 2017 (3 credits, except Chem II. 8-3:30 MTWR, 8-noon F):
* June 5-23: PHS 530/PHY 480. mechanics (Zak Kovach, instructor)
* June 5-23: PHS 531/PHY 494. electricity & magnetism (Michael Crofton, instructor)
* June 5-23: CHM 594/CHM 480. chemistry I (Mitch Sweet. Offsite at Tempe Prep. Academy)
*June 12-30: PHS 530/PHY 480. mechanics. IN WEST VALLEY! (Rich McNamara, instructor)
* July 5-18: CHM 594. chemistry II (Larry Dukerich, instructor. 2 credits)
OTHER GRADUATE COURSES (3 credits.) (Can take 6 credits in 5 weeks)
* June 5-23: PHS 505/CHM 505: Energy & the Environment (Cory Waxman, instructor. 8:30am - 12:30pm MTWRF)
* June 26-July 28: PHS 540/CHM 540. Integrated Physics & Chemistry (Bob Culbertson, instructor. 1pm - 3:30pm MTWR)
* June 26-July 28: PHS 570. Spacetime Physics (Carl Covatto. 4pm - 6:30pmMTWR)
* Also: PHS 598: Leadership Workshop (1 cr): (Jim Archambault. June & July, Friday 1:10pm)