Take ASU Physical Science Modeling Workshop in Fall Semester for Non-Credit
Thursday, August 10, 2017
TAKE ASU PHYS SCI MODELING WORKSHOP IN FALL SEMESTER FOR NON-CREDIT - TUESDAYS AFTER SCHOOL
Methods of Physical Science Teaching (Physical Science with Math Modeling Workshop) (Aug. 22 to Dec. 5, 2017)
The ASU course PHS 534 / PHY 494: "Methods of Physical Science Teaching" will be offered in fall semester 2017 on TUESDAYS AFTER SCHOOL (4:30 to 7:15pm) at the ASU-Tempe campus.
* PHY 494 is for undergraduates.
* PHS 534 is for in-service teachers and graduate students.
In-service and pre-service teachers of physics, chemistry, earth/space science, and biology are urged to take this course. It will enhance their job prospects, because schools often need a physical science teacher for one or two sections.
PHS 534 is accepted by the Arizona Department of Education as a CONTENT course. Thus it can be used toward the 24 hours required for certification in secondary physical science.
Dates: Aug. 22 to Dec. 5 (no class on Oct. 10: fall break at ASU) Location: Physical Sciences Center, H-wing, room 355 (PS-H355) Instructor: Kelli Gamez Warble, Teacher-in-Residence in the ASU Department of Physics.
PHS534/PHY494 focuses on matter and energy; inquiry process and nature of science. No textbook. Course materials cost $25.
LOW-COST parking in Lot 59 (4 blocks north of the classroom), or FREE parallel parking on Eighth Street, east of Rural Road (on north side of street). Light rail station is 2 blocks east of our building.
CREDIT: Two options: 1) ASU graduate credit in physics: PHS 534 is 3 credits. ASU charges $2625. Apply here: students.asu.edu/graduate/how-and-when-apply-graduate-admission 2) Non-credit and up to 4.5 CEUs (for 45 contact hours for re-certification): $400 and you need NOT apply to ASU. (Half-price: $200 for teachers who cannot get financial support.) REPLY to Jane.Jackson@asu.edu to reserve a space for non-credit.
ASTA gratefully acknowledges support from the following organizations:
Do you need funding?
* $750 ASU scholarships for MCCCD faculty who don't yet have 18 graduate credits in physics/physical science. This includes dual-enrollment faculty.
* Ask your principal NOW for Federal Title II funds for ASU tuition or $400 non-credit registration.
* If Title II funds are not available, ask your school district foundation or parents club.
* Ask Rotary, Kiwanis, Soroptimists, Elks, etc. for financial support.
See [copy/paste this URL:] modeling.asu.edu/MNS/ServiceOrgs-financialHelp.doc
* Our ASU courses & scholarship info: modeling.asu.edu/MNS/MNS.html
Questions? email@example.com 480-314-1522