What is it?
College K-12 Outreach Department delivers programs to young students that focus on early elementary school students.
How is it done?
Grant received from the Arizona Public Service (APS) Company, a local utility company
Nationally acclaimed STEM groups of talented scientists and teachers demonstrate STEM related information in an entertaining format with hands-on activities and workshops for two (2) days
A grant from APS to inspire students interest in the STEM field at an early age (K-2) in rural communities – 6 schools/1,200 students
Budget: $26,000 was the value of the grant
What are the results?
Increase awareness of STEM activities at an early age
1,200 students from 6 rural schools participate
Excitement from all attendees – students, teachers and parents
Inspire teachers to continue the excitement of teaching STEM
What have we learned?
- Encouraging students from an early age to participate in STEM related activities provides excitement in learning
- Program offered during the school day helps minimize student transportation
- Kids love it and especially enjoy the hands-on activities
- Teacher inclusion within the activities inspires them to take on new risks with STEM activities and demonstrates methods to incorporate STEM into their curriculum
- Emphasize to students at an early age that teachers continue developing opportunities at all levels to engage students’ interests in STEM programs
- Provides awareness of college activities