ASU Summer Modeling Workshop in Physics and Chemistry
Friday, January 13, 2017
Arizona State University in Tempe offers four Modeling Workshops (June 5-23 and July 5-18, 2017) and three more courses. All courses are graduate level in rigor & depth. They are for all high school physics, physical science, & chemistry teachers, for two-year-college faculty, and pre-service teachers.
This STEM program can lead to an interdisciplinary Master of Natural Science (MNS) degree.
ASU Modeling Instruction and MNS degree programs are designated Accomplished STEM Programs by Change the Equation, a coalition of Fortune 500 companies. Modeling Instruction won the 2014 Excellence in Physics Education award of the American Physical Society.
Apply to ASU after mid-February but by May 10, to avoid an ASU late fee. Details are at http://modeling.asu.edu/MNS/MNS.html .
• Arizona high school teachers (in-service & pre-service) can apply for a 2/3 tuition scholarship, online after Feb. 7, 2017. (Our thanks to The Boeing Co.)
• MCCCD faculty (including Dual Enrollment) can apply for $250/credit tuition scholarships, if you don't already have 18 graduate credits in physics or chemistry.
• Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. 480-965-3521 or https://graduate.asu.edu/faculty-graduate- credit-options
• All teachers/faculty can apply to reserve a seat for non-credit. $400 registration. CEUs. Limited spaces; priority to those who commit to leadership. Apply online after Feb. 7. Need NOT apply to ASU.
• Ask your principal NOW to reserve Federal Title II funds for tuition, $400 registration, or housing.
• Ask local service organizations (Rotary, Kiwanis, etc.) for financial support: see modeling.asu.edu/MNS/ServiceOrgs-financialHelp.doc
• Degree-seeking teachers at Title I high schools can apply for forgivable Direct loans & TEACH grants.
For help with on-campus or family housing, reply to Jane.Jackson@asu.edu.
Questions? Reply to email@example.com
MODELING WORKSHOPS in 2017 (3 credits, except Chem II. 8-3:30 MTWR, 8-noon F):
• June 5-23: PHS 530/PHY 480. mechanics (Jeff Steinert, probable instructor)
• June 5-23: PHS 531/PHY 494. electricity & magnetism (Michael Crofton, instructor)
• June 5-23: CHM 594/CHM 480. chemistry I (Mitch Sweet. Offsite at Tempe Prep. Academy)
• July 5-18: CHM 594. chemistry II (Phil Root, instructor. 2 credits)
OTHER GRADUATE COURSES (3 credits.) (Can take 6 credits in 5 weeks)
• June 5-23: PHS 505/CHM 505: Energy & the Environment (Cory Waxman, instructor. 8:30am - 12:30pm MTWRF)
• June 26-July 28: PHS 540/CHM 540. Integrated Physics & Chemistry (Bob Culbertson, instructor. 1pm
- 3:30pm MTWR)
• June 26-July 28: PHS 570. Spacetime Physics (Carl Covatto. 4pm - 6:30pm MTWR)
• PHS 598: Leadership Workshop (1 cr): (Jim Archambault. June & July, Friday 1:10pm)